Blackvegetarians.org has been of tremendous help to me. Here you will find a list of transitioning tips for newbs (like myself!) If you read the information listed there (quoted below), you will find websites that will mail you a Vegetarian Starter Kit FOR FREE and there is one you can access directly from the internet.
Get free vegetarian and vegan starter guides at www.tryveg.com, www.goveg.com/vegkit/index.html and http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/index.html.
During my research I learned that there are several different "levels" or types of vegetarianism.
Here are a few of the cookbooks that I want. Don't they look GREAT?!
1. Semi-Vegetarians aka Flexitarians Semi-vegetarians limit their intake of either certain types of meat or the amount of meat. For example, they might eat no red or white meat (beef, pork, venison, etc), but eat fowl and fish. Or they might only eat meat once or twice a week. Someone who only eats fish can also be called a pescatarian. (Purists would say that semi-vegetarians are not vegetarians at all, but I have included them in order to show the complete hierarchy.) 2. Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians The most common type, ovo-lacto vegetarians do not eat any animals, but do eat eggs and dairy products.
* Ovo vegetarians (eat eggs but not dairy) * Lacto vegetarians (eat dairy but not eggs)
3. Vegans Vegans eat no animal products - no eggs, no dairy, no honey, etc. 4. Raw/Living Foodists Raw or Living Foodists eat only raw food, because enzymes are destroyed by normal cooking processes. 5. Fruitarians Fruitarians eat only fruit, fruit-like vegetables (e.g., tomatoes, cucumbers), and sometimes seeds and nuts.
- Delicious Jamaica: Vegetarian Cuisine - Yvonne McCalla Sobers
- Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African American Cuisine - Bryant Terry
Let me re-iterate that while I love animals, my purpose for this is to improve my quality of life and overall health. Whatever YOUR choice, whatever YOUR reasons for your current lifestyle I encourage you to live your best life...you only get one!